Date: Monday, February 1st, 1999, 00:00
Apple has posted several useful TILs showing the customer-installable parts in the new iBook Dual USB. There isn’t a TIL for installing a hard drive in the new iBook because it is not considered “customer-installable” and requires the removal of 43 screws.
- iBook (Dual USB): Installing or Replacing Memory
- iBook (Dual USB): Installing or Replacing the AirPort Card
- iBook(Dual USB): Replacing/Installing the Keyboard
- iBook (Dual USB): Battery Replacement Instructions
If you insist on being a die-hard and installing a hard drive yourself, check out CyberGreg’s iBook hard drive upgrade page, look for the iBook HDD link in the left nav bar.
Replacing the Hard Disk in an iBook (Dual USB / icebook) has 21 pictures of the process.
Sarah Friedlander writes:
For anyone who is brave enough to do the iBook HDD upgrade I recommend using CyberGreg’s instructions. They were extremely helpful and without that PDF file it would ofbeen an impossible procedure.
Make sure as you take out each screw to labelwhere it went because upon putting all the screws together you will forgetits place. I suggest using a long piece of tape (such as duct tape). Stickeach screw in the order you took it out and label its place in the computer.
This will be most helpful towards the end. The entire upgrade for us took atotal of 2.5 hours, partly because at the end we ended up with afew missing screws and needed to find their rightful places.
My iBook worksbeautfully now with 20 gigs in place. If you have questions on the iBook hard drive installation, please feel free to e-mail me at flame12 at mac dot com.
If you have been brave enough to install a new hard drive in an iBook Dual USB and wish to share your tips with other readers, take pictures and drop me a line.
- iPhone 5S component photos leaked, could indicate more colors to choose from
- Rumor: AU Optronics may not be part of next-gen iPad mini screen supply chain
- UPS for iPad app goes live, now available in App Store
- Apple releases MacBook Air Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0 for mid-2012 MacBook Air notebook
- Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 update