Date: Monday, February 1st, 1999, 00:00
June 14, 1999 (TAIPEI) — Quanta Computer Corp., the largest notebook PC maker in Taiwan, said it has received new orders from Apple Computer Inc. that will greatly boost its annual output.
Its annual output of notebooks will be pumped up to more than 3 million units next year, 50 percent higher than this year’s estimated total of around 2 million units.
Quanta now serves as an original equipment manufacturer for Apple, International Business Machines Corp. (IBM), Hewlett-Packard Co. (HP), Dell Computer Corp., Gateway 2000 Inc. and Sharp Corp. It also has invested in a joint venture with Sharp to produce liquid-crystal display (LCD) panels.
Quanta shipped 1.31 million notebook PCs last year, beating Acer Inc. to become the largest notebook producer in Taiwan, and the third-largest in the world. By the year 2000, the company expects to replace Japan’s Toshiba Corp. as the world’s leading notebook PC maker.
- Delicious Library updated to 3.0.2
- Yahoo! changes Flickr policies, now offers 1TB of storage space for free
- Possible Broadcom 802.11ac Wi-Fi card spotted, currently supported in OS X 10.8.4 betas
- AT&T to offer FaceTime connections over cellular for all LTE-compatible iPhones by end of 2013
- HandBrake updated to 0.9.9