Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Tuesday, July 21st, 2009, 08:20
Category: How-To, News
A number of Cox internet service members have been having trouble accessing their e-mail accounts through Apple’s Mail program. Per MacFixIt, the connection seems to be fine and log-in works, but while Mail will show downloaded messages in the “Activity” window, they will not show up in an in-box. Additionally, a message of “mail cannot verify the identity of pop.central.cox.net” may appear.
The issue may have arisen from a recent update of the Cox e-mail servers that is contributing to this problem, since it seems to have cropped up in the past few days. Other (such as those discussing the issue in this Apple discussion thread) have claimed this happening for a few weeks. According to Cox, its e-mail servers seem to be fine, but the problem persists for affected members.
Some users have found that turning off SSL authentication for their e-mail accounts has helped the problem, which can be done in the “Advanced” section of the accounts settings in the preferences. To have Mail work continually you may need to toggle the SSL setting periodically, but this has helped a few people experiencing problems.
One workaround to at least accessing your mail is to use the Cox Web mail program, which can be found at http://webmail.cox.net.
Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Tuesday, July 21st, 2009, 05:34
Category: Finance, News
It’s that time again and Apple has released a media advisory stating that the company will be releasing the financial results for the third fiscal quarter and second calendar quarter of 2009. The results will cover sales from March 28th, 2009 through June 26th, 2009, and will be released at the close of trading (4:00 PM Eastern / 1:00 PM Pacific) on Tuesday.
The conference call discussing the results will follow at 2:00 PM Pacific and will be available via an audio webcast.
Stay tuned to PowerPage throughout the day for updates galore.
Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Tuesday, July 21st, 2009, 05:47
On Monday, Microsoft released updates for its Microsoft Office 2008 suite as well as its Open XML Converter applications.
The Office 2008 update (which functions as a second service pack), is a 297 megabyte download that offers the following fixes and changes with a full description of the changes available here:
- Stability is improved: This update fixes an issue that causes Office 2008 applications to exit unexpectedly when you open or use the applications.
- Setup Assistant displays a message when an invalid product key is used: This update fixes an issue that causes Setup Assistant to loop when the user enters an invalid product key. The Setup Assistant now displays a message and asks the user to enter a valid product key.
- Spell checking is improved when International System Preferences is set to Austrian or German input methods: This update fixes an issue in which the spell checking feature is disabled intermittently for Austrian and German languages.
- Text box and the custom tab stops on a ruler align on a PowerPoint slide: This update fixes an issue that causes the text box and the tab stops on the ruler not to line up appropriately.
- New controls for changing the alignment of text on chart elements: This update includes new controls for setting the vertical position, orientation, and custom angle of text in chart elements. It also includes controls for data label positions.
- Improvements for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac: Stability is improved when you use Mail Merge with pictures.
This update fixes an issue that causes Word to crash when you use the Mail Merge Manager to insert a record with pictures from an external data source into your main document.
- Notebook Layout View recovers audio notes after Word closes unexpectedly: This update fixes an issue that causes users to lose their audio notes when Word closes unexpectedly. When you restart Word, the AutoRecover file does not include the audio notes. This issue is fixed now.
- Performance is improved: This update fixes performance issues that occur in the following scenarios:
When you use the Outline View.
When you use Japanese characters and the Formatting Palette Styles functionality.
- Section indicator is included in the Word status bar: This update reintroduces the Section indicator to the status bar. The Section indicator provides the section number that you are currently viewing in your document.
- Reliability is improved with display redraw issues: This update fixes various display redraw issues that might occur when you scroll through a document that contain bullets and numbering.
- Compatibility with Word 2007 is improved: This update fixes an issue that causes a Word 2007 document that has table borders not to be displayed correctly when the document is viewed in Word 2008 for Mac.
- Reliability is improved when you copy a numbered list: This update fixes an issue that causes a numbered list to lose its formatting when it is copied into another document.
- Improved editing when you use Korean characters: This update fixes an issue that causes Korean characters in a document to display incorrectly when you press the arrow keys.
- Compatibility is improved with SpellCatcher X: This update fixes an issue that improves compatibility with SpellCatcher X.
Microsoft Office 2008 12.2.0 requires Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later to install and run.
Per the Open XML Converter 1.1 update, Microsoft released the 44.7 megabyte updater file for download. The new version of the utility (which lets you convert Open XML files that were created in Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac or 2007 Microsoft Office for Windows so that you can open, edit, and save them in earlier versions of Office for Mac) boasts currently unspecified fixes and changes.
The application requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later to and Microsoft Office X 10.1.9 or Microsoft Office 2004 11.4.0 or later to install and run.
Both updates can be located and installed with the Microsoft AutoUpdater application.
Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Tuesday, July 21st, 2009, 04:37
On Monday, Skype released version 22.214.171.1249 of its popular Voice over Internet Protocol communications program.
The new version, a 42.4 megabyte download, adds the following fixes and features:
- An incorrect notification message appeared “This Wi-Fi hotspot does not support Skype Access” when users tried to connect to Skype Access when Airport was set to off.
- Text was not visible within the chat input field that contained a certain Unicode character.
- Platform specific – Skype for Mac OXS 10.3 (Panther); Skype froze after deleting unread missed events.
- Mood message appeared blank after playing iTunes.
- Contacts were still visible in the “Manage Contact Groups” after deleting them from the Contact List.
- Video appeared blank between Skype for Windows and Skype for Mac.
- A video error message appeared at the beginning of a video call.
- Video and screen sharing functionality did not work after a multiÃ?Â¢?? chat
- Recipients screen remained black after screen sharing was resumed.
- A green line appeared when screen sharing between Skype for Windows and Skype for Mac OXS 10.4 (Tiger). Screen sharing
- Skype froze when screen sharing between Skype for Windows and Skype for Mac.
- An incorrect informative message appeared when entering more than 20 characters for a password.
- The Show in Finder option was not available after cancelling a file transfer.
- Platform specific – OSX 10.3 (Panther); Skype could not connect to the network.
- Skype froze when selecting “Quit Skype”.
- The typing indicator appeared within a Multi-chat even though no one was typing.
- An incorrect informative message appeared when trying to call an emergency number.
- Commas were not visible in mood messages.
- A users name and password field appeared blank after selecting the option “Remember my name and password on this computer”.
- An error message appeared when dragging and dropping a participant to an SMS group.
- An error message appeared when closing the SMS window after sending to multiple recipients.
- SMS functionality did not recognize newly updated telephone numbers associated to Skype Out contacts.
- Ringing sound was not available on incoming calls.
Skype 126.96.36.1999 is available for free and requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later to install and run.