Date: Monday, November 22nd, 2010, 11:40
Category: iPad, iPhone, iPod, News, Software
At long last, Apple has finally released its iOS 4.2.1 update for the following devices:
- iPod touch (second generation and up)
- iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4
The update, which tops out at several hundred megabytes and is available via iTunes (as usual, just plug the device in, click the device window in iTunes, then click “Update”), adds the following fixes and changes:
- FaceTime Improvements
- Find text on the Web page in Safari
- New fonts settings available for Notes
- New SMS/MMS text tones and the ability to set custom tones per contact
- Additional restrictions (parental controls)
- Import .ics files to Calendar
- Bug fixes
- Multitasking on iPad: iOS 4.2 brings multitasking from iPhone and iPod touch to iPad. So you can be more productive as you work, have more fun as you play, or do a little of both. Everything happens smoothly and efficiently — without slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.
- Folders on iPad: Now your iPad has more room for more apps. Move apps into folders with drag-and-drop simplicity to declutter your Home screens and keep your apps organized for fast access to your favorites.
- Find My iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Find My iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch — the MobileMe feature that helps you locate your missing device and protect its data — is now free on any iPhone 4, iPad, or fourth-generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2.3 Once you set it up, you can find your lost device on a map, display a message on its screen, remotely set a passcode lock, and initiate a remote wipe to delete your data. And if you eventually find your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can restore everything from your last backup.
Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.
Honestly, this was a long time coming and after two golden master development releases, it’s time to see how it pans out. Please let us know how the updates worked for you and, positive or negative, feel free to comment on it!