Date: Monday, September 24th, 2012, 11:01
Category: Apple TV, News, Software
It’s almost never bad to have a spiffy Apple TV update.
Apple on Monday quietly updated the Apple TV set-top box, adding the following fixes and changes to its operating system:
- Shared Photo Streams — Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.
- AirPlay — Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.
- iTunes account switching — Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.
- Trailers — Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.
- Screen savers — New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.
- Main menu— Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.
- Subtitles — SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.
- Network configuration — Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles.
- Stability and performance — Includes general performance and stability improvements.
Users can now download Apple TV Software Update 5.1 by going into the Settings section of the device, choosing General, and then selecting Update Software.
If you’ve tried the update and have any feedback to offer, please let us know in the comments.
- Apple issues statement regarding customer privacy/transparency in wake of “Prism” scandal
- Rogers Wireless, Telus, to offer iPad, iPad mini sales, Wind to offer nano-SIMs for iPhone 5 handset
- Review: Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
- European Union to remove roaming fees starting July 2014
- Microsoft releases long-awaited Office Mobile 365 for iOS