Date: Thursday, January 24th, 2013, 08:09
Category: News, Software
CrossOver, the popular virtualization program from CodeWeavers, has been updated to version 12.1. The new version, a 75.7 megabyte download, is available as a demo, offers the following fixes and changes:
- We have fixed a bug where certain users who chose “Register for all users of this computer” during CrossOver’s registration would receive an error claiming their bottle had “expired” and could not be used, despite the user having a valid CrossOver license.
- We have added a preference setting allowing the user to control what CrossOver does with an unknown Windows .exe file when it is launched. Using this preference, the user can tell CrossOver either to treat the unknown .exe file as an application installer, or to simply run it.
- CrossOver will now auto-update CrossTie files if the user has permitted auto-updates of CrossOver itself via Sparkle.
- Fixed a bug where automatic updates via Sparkle would fail for some users on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.
- Fixed a bug which caused several games to fail when running in fullscreen mode.
- Games which should be improved include StarCraft, Fallout, and, we hope, many others.
- Fixed a bug which prevented some users from logging into World of Tanks servers.
- CrossOver no longer ships Wine-Mono, an open-source replacement for .Net, by default. We had started doing this for CrossOver 12 but the large increase in download size and disk space usage proved too much. CrossOver can still download and install Wine-Mono as-needed.
- We have fixed a bug which caused CrossOver to print unnecessary error messages when launching Windows applications, complaining that certain icon files could not be found.
- New translations for Polish & Chinese (China), and a partial translation for Italian.
- Fixed connection errors with Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 when connecting to hosted Exchange servers.
- Fixed a bug which caused adding a table of contents to a Microsoft Word document to fail.
- Fixed an issue where Quicken failed to download WebConnect and QFX files.
- Fixed an issue where Quicken crashed viewing investment details.
- Fixed an issue where Quicken crashed when expanding columns in reports.
- Fixed a bug which caused clicking on a promotional offer in Quicken to crash.
- Fixed some connection failures with Quicken 2011.
- Fixed an issue where rotated text was garbled in PowerPoint 2010.
- Fixed a bug selecting shapes in Visio 2010.
- Fixed a crash on launch in HCFA-1500.
CrossOver 12.1 retails for US$59.95 and requires Mac OS X 10.6 and or later and an Intel-based Mac to install and run.
If you’ve tried the new version and have any feedback to offer, please let us know in the comments.