Date: Wednesday, July 13th, 2011, 02:02
Category: Accessory, Hardware, MacBook, MacBook Pro, News
On Tuesday Other World Computing announced the immediate availability of its OWC Data Doubler 1.0 DIY Kit for adding up to 2.0TB of internal storage capacity to Apple’s “Unibody” MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks.
The US$174.99 MSRP OWC Data Doubler 1.0TB DIY Kit is now available and features a Data Doubler optical bay converter bracket, a Samsung Spinpoint M8 1.0TB 9.5mm hard drive, a detailed step-by-step Mac notebook model specific installation guide, a five piece toolkit, free online ‘How To’ installation videos, and is fully compatible with the following Macintosh® notebook computers:
- MacBook 13″ “Late 2008” ‘Unibody’ and later models (All)
- MacBook 13″ “Late 2009” ‘White Unibody’ and later models (All)
- MacBook Pro 13″ “Mid 2009” ‘Unibody’ and later models (All)
- MacBook Pro 15″ “Late 2008” ‘Unibody’ and later models (All)
- MacBook Pro 17″ “Early 2009” ‘Unibody’ and later models (All)
The OWC Data Doubler gives “Unibody” MacBook and MacBook Pro owners the flexibility to uniquely configure their computer’s internal drive array. Any SATA 2.5″ hard drive or SSD of up to 9.5mm (Super Slim) height can be mounted onto the bracket with the entire assembly then user installable in a “Unibody” MacBook or MacBook Pro optical drive bay. 9.5mm SATA 2.5″ hard drives are fully “Plug and Play” recognized via the Apple Disk Utility program with standard configuration options just like any typical drive including, but not limited to:
- Creating an individual volume with its own desktop icon.
- Combining a new drive with the existing internal drive for one larger
- Combining a new matching drive with existing internal for high-
performance RAID-0 Stripe volume.
- Configuring a new drive as a Time Machine™ backup drive.
- Formatting one drive for the Mac OS and the other dedicated for Windows.
- SuperSlim Enclosure Converts Optical Drive Into External Solution
The OWC Data Doubler is now available for immediate purchase.
If you have any feedback about OWC’s product lines, let us know in the comments.