Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Wednesday, July 24th, 2013, 08:09
Category: News, Software
The Opera web browser project begins.
On Wednesday, Opera Software released version 15.0.1147.147 of its web browser. The new version, a 54.4 megabyte download via MacUpdate, boasts the following fixes and changes:
General and User-Interface Changes:
- Opera 15 is a major reinvention for Opera. Going forward, the browser’s source code will be based on Chromium and Blink, a fork of the WebKit rendering engine.
- New rendering engine based on WebKit.
- New user interface.
- New capabilities.
- Improved site compatibility.
- Silent auto updates
- Combined address and search bar. Opera 15 combines the address and search bar, allowing for multiple predictive results that can be filtered by search engine. This bar includes options for adding current pages to Opera’s Speed Dial or Stash, and expandable page information.
- Enhanced Speed Dial. Opera 15 allows you to combine Speed Dial entries into groups, and introduces a search function that filters through entries.
- Stash. Opera 15 introduces Stash – a feature that records the location, meta data, and a screenshot of a page. It places this information into a collapsable list entry on the browser’s Start Page, that can be searched by keyword and/or scanned visually by screenshot.
- Discover. A recommender service is included with Opera 15. Discover displays news and topical content that can be filtered by category or location/language.
- Off-Road mode. Opera 15 adopts the server-side compression technology used by Opera Mobile.
- Chromium was updated to 1500.72.
- Fixes a minor issue in Opera installer, which deleted existing Opera shortcuts from desktop instead of changing them.
Opera 15.0.1147.147 is available for free and requires an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later to install and run.