Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Tuesday, July 19th, 2011, 05:07
Category: News, Software
VirtualBox, an open source x86 virtualization project available for free has just hit version 4.1.0. The new version, a 82.8 megabyte download, sports the following list of fixes and changes:
– Support for cloning of VMs (bug #5853, see the manual for more information): full clones can be created through the GUI and VBoxManage, linked clones only through VBoxManage.
– GUI: enhanced wizard for creating new virtual disks.
– GUI: new wizard for copying virtual disks.
– GUI: keep the aspect ratio in scale mode (Windows and OSX hosts only; bug #7822).
– VMM: raised the memory limit for 64-bit hosts to 1TB.
– Experimental support for PCI passthrough for Linux hosts, see the manual for more information.
– Windows guests: Experimental WDDM graphics driver, supporting Windows Aero (bug #4607) and providing
– Direct3D support using a cleaner approach (no need to install the guest drivers in Safe Mode anymore).
– Guest Additions: status of modules and features can now be queried separately by the frontends.
– Networking: new network attachment mode “Generic Driver”, which offers an open plugin architecture for arbitrary and separately distributable virtual network implementations.
– Host-only Networking: fixed host crash in kernels prior to 2.6.29.
– New Networking Mode UDP Tunnel: allows to interconnect VMs running on different hosts easily and transparently, see the manual for more information.
– Experimental support for SATA hard disk hotplugging available with VBoxManage.
– Solaris hosts: New Crossbow based bridged networking driver for Solaris 11 build 159 and above.
VirtualBox 4.1.0 is available for free and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later and an Intel-based Mac to install and run.
If you’ve tried the new version and have any feedback, please let us know.