Date: Monday, April 15th, 2013, 06:19
Category: News, Software
A good set of bug fixes never hurt anyone.
VirtualBox, an open source x86 virtualization project available for free has just hit version 4.2.10. The new version, a 150 megabyte download, features the following fixes and changes:
– VMM: fixed a Guru Meditation on putting Linux guest CPU online if nested paging is disabled
– VMM: invalidate TLB entries even for non-present pages.
– GUI: Multi-screen support: fixed a crash on visual-mode change.
– GUI: Multi-screen support: disabled guest-screens should now remain disabled on visual-mode change.
– GUI: Multi-screen support: handle host/guest screen plugging/unplugging in different visual-modes.
– GUI: Multi-screen support: seamless mode: fixed a bug when empty seamless screens were represented by fullscreen windows.
– GUI: Multi-screen support: each machine window in multi-screen configuration should have correct menu-bar now (Mac OS X hosts).
– GUI: Multi-screen support: machine window View menu should have correct content in seamless/fullscreen mode now (Mac OS X hosts).
– GUI: VM manager: vertical scroll-bars should be now updated on content/window resize.
– GUI: VM settings: fixed crash on machine state-change event.
– GUI: don’t show warnings about enabled or disabled mouse integration if the VM was restored from a saved state.
– Virtio-net: properly announce that the guest has to handle partial TCP checksums (bug #9380).
– Storage: Fixed incorrect alignment of VDI images causing disk size changes when using snapshots (bug #11597).
– Audio: fixed broken ALSA & PulseAudio on some Linux hosts due to invalid symbol resolution (bug #11615).
– PS/2 keyboard: re-apply keyboard repeat delay and rate after a VM was restored from a saved state (bug #10933).
– BIOS: updated DMI processor information table (type 4): corrected L1 & L2 cache table handles.
– Timekeeping: fix several issues which can lead to incorrect time, Solaris guests sporadically showed time going briefly back to Jan 1 1970.
– Main/Metrics: disk metrics are collected properly when software RAID, symbolic links or rootfs are used on Linux hosts.
– VBoxManage: don’t stay paused after a snapshot was created and the VM was running before.
– VBoxManage: introduced controlvm nicpromisc (bug #11423).
– VBoxManage: don’t crash on controlvm guestmemoryballoon if the VM isn’t running (bug #11639).
– VBoxHeadless: don’t filter guest property events as this would affect all clients (bug #11644).
– Guest control: prevent double CR in the output generated by guest commands and do NLS conversion.
– Linux hosts / guests: fixed build errors on Linux 3.5 and newer kernels if the CONFIG_UIDGID_STRICT_TYPE_CHECKS config option is enabled (bug #11664).
– Linux Additions: handle fall-back to VESA driver on RedHat-based guests if vboxvideo cannot be loaded.
– Linux Additions: RHEL/OEL/CentOS 6.4 compile fix (bug #11586).
– Linux Additions: Debian Linux kernel 3.2.0-4 (3.2.39) compile fix (bug #11634).
– Linux Additions: added auto-logon support for Linux guests using LightDM as the display manager.
– Windows Additions: Support for multimonitor. Dynamic enable/disable of secondary virtual monitors.
– Support for XPDM/WDDM based guests.
– X11 Additions: support X.Org Server 1.14 (bug #11609).
VirtualBox 4.2.12 is available for free and requires an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.6 or later and an Intel-based Mac to install and run.
If you’ve tried the new version and have any feedback, please let us know.