Date: Wednesday, September 4th, 2013, 07:24
Category: News, Software
You can’t knock the new version of a pretty useful virtualization application.
Per 9to5Mac, VMware has just released the immediate availability of VMware Fusion 6 and VMware Fusion 6 Professional. The new version of the virtualization software boasts over 50 new features and is prepared for the new operating systems coming from both Apple (Mavericks) and Microsoft (Windows 8.1).
The new version offers the following fixes and changes:
– Supports Mavericks multi-display features and even AirPlay displays.
– Enhanced dictation support.
– Run Mavericks as a guest operating system – can be installed using the recovery partition in just a couple of clicks.
– Ready for Windows 8.1.
– Built-in optimizations for the Haswell processors.
– Up to 16 virtual CPUs, 64GB of RAM, and 8TB of disk space – ready for the new Mac Pro coming soon.
– VMware Fusion 6 is available exclusively on the VMware Online Store for US$59.99 or US$49.99 for VMware Fusion 4 or 5 upgraders. A 30 day trial is available as well.
The announcement comes just days after Parallels announced the release of Parallels Desktop 9, which is currently available as an upgrade. The full version will be available tomorrow. We’ll have a full review of both apps shortly.
Generally Parallels is geared toward single users and has better performance whereas VMware is geared toward larger enterprise and folks who also work on PCs.
VMWare 6 requires any 64-bit capable Intel-based Mac with a Core 2 Duo processor or better, 2 GM of RAM, 750MB free disk space and OS X 10.7.5 or later to install and run.