Date: Monday, October 10th, 2016, 05:54
Category: battery, Hardware, News, Samsung, wireless
Even after the recalls and apologies, the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery debacle continues, even after supposedly safe replacement units were issued.
This time, wireless carrier AT&T announces that it is discontinuing all sales and exchanges of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones following a number of fires caused by supposedly “safe” phones that had been replaced under recall.
“Based on recent reports, we’re no longer exchanging new Note 7s at this time, pending further investigation of these reported incidents,” said an AT&T spokesperson. “We still encourage customers with a recalled Note 7 to visit an AT&T location to exchange that device for another Samsung smartphone or other smartphone of their choice.”
The four largest wireless US carriers have stated they will allow returns of any Galaxy Note 7. AT&T stands as the first to stop sales of the device outright and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has said it is “moving expeditiously” to investigate the fires and it seems likely that a full recall of all Galaxy Note 7 devices is imminent.
A Verizon spokesman has stated that the Galaxy Note 7 is backordered and that Verizon has no inventory to sell. T-Mobile has stated that it continues to sell replacement Note 7 phones to customers who wish to purchase it, Sprint is apparently offering replacement Note 7 phones to owners of the recalled Note 7.
Stay tuned for additional details as they become available.