Date: Wednesday, October 7th, 2009, 03:22
VirtualBox, an open source x86 virtualization project available for free has just hit version 3.0.8. The new version, a 62.9 megabyte download, sports the following fixes and changes:
– VMM: fixed 64 bits guest on 32 bits host regression in 3.0.6 (VT-x only; bug #4947).
– VMM: fixed a recompiler triple fault guru meditation (VT-x & AMD-V only; bug #5058).
– VMM: fixed hang after guest state restore (AMD-V, 32 bits Windows guest and IO-APIC enabled only; bug #5059).
– VMM: fixed paging issue with OS/2 guests.
– VMM: fixed guru meditation in rare cases (2.0 regression; software virtualization only).
– VMM: fixed release assertion during state restore when using the Sound Blaster 16 emulation (bug #5042).
– Security: fixed vulnerability that allowed to execute commands with root privileges.
– Linux hosts: fixed runtime assertion in semaphore implementation which was triggered under certain conditions (bug #616).
– Linux hosts: change the default USB access mode on certain distributions (bugs #3394 and #4291).
– Linux hosts: on hardened Gentoo, the VBoxSVC daemon crashed by opening the VM network settings (bug #3732).
– Linux hosts, Solaris hosts: pass the XAUTHORITY variable along the DISPLAY variable when starting a VM from VBoxManage or from the VM selector (bug #5063).
– Linux hosts: use sysfs to enumerate host drives if hal is not available.
– Solaris hosts: fixed a bug which would hang the host sporadically as interrupts were not re-enabled everytime.
– Solaris hosts: fixed a kernel panic with bridged and host-only networking (bug #4775).
– Solaris hosts: fixed incorrectly persistent CD/DVD-ROMs when changing them (bug #5077).
– X11-based hosts: support additional function keys on Sun keyboards (bug #4907).
– Mac OS X hosts (Snow Leopard): fixed problem starting headless VMs without a graphical session (bug #5002).
– Mac OS X hosts: fixed problem listing host-only adapter names with trailing garbage (attached VMs won’t start).
– Windows Additions: now work with Vista 64-bit Home editions (bug #3865).
– Windows Additions: fixed screen corruption with ZoomText Magnifier.
– Windows Additions: fixed NPGetUniversalName failure (bug #4853).
– Windows Additions: fixed Windows NT regression (bug #4946).
– Windows Additions: fixed VBoxService not running if no Shared Folders are installed.
– Linux Additions: implemented ftrunctate (bug #4771).
– VRDP: start VM even if configured VRDP port is in use.
– Networking: the PCnet network device stopped receiving under rare conditions (bug #4870).
– VBoxManage: implemented controlvm vrdpport command.
– iSCSI: fixed issue with NetApp targets (#5072).
– SCSI: add support for virtual disks larger than 2TB.
– USB: fixed potential crash when unplugging USB2 devices (bug #5089).
– NAT: IPSEC did not properly work with Linux guests (bug #4801).
VirtualBox 3.0.8 is available for free and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later and an Intel-based Mac to install and run.