Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Wednesday, May 5th, 2010, 03:19
Late Tuesday, Carbon Copy Cloner, the shareware favorite for drive cloning operations by Mike Bombich, has released version 3.3.1 of the program. The new version, a 3.6 megabyte download, adds the following changes:
- Addressed an issue in which CCC was not properly aborting a scheduled task when the target volume disappeared, which would result in files being copied to the startup disk.
- Documentation and support are also now built-in to CCC. Answers are just a click away — choose “Ask a question about CCC” from CCC’s help menu to tap into Bombich Software’s online support community.
- CCC provides a more detailed alert panel when choosing to run a task with the “Delete items form the target that do not exist on the source”. The icon of the target disk along with details about capacity and disk usage will help prevent users from inadvertently selecting the wrong volume as a target.
- Added “?” help buttons in many dialogs that present common error conditions. These buttons link to more detailed information in the documentation about these error conditions and how to resolve the issues.
- Scheduled tasks now present a dialog upon successfully completing so you can tell that CCC is actually running your tasks as scheduled. For people that liked the old behavior, these dialogs can be shown only when errors occur.
- Addressed an issue in which CCC was unable to create an Authentication Credentials installer package on the MacBook Air.
- Several minor usability enhancements
- Scheduled tasks that were missed because the source disk was absent will now be initiated when the source disk reappears. Previous versions of CCC would only initiate a missed task when the target volume reappeared.
- Several enhancements around the handling of disk images:
- Resolved an issue in which CCC might be unable to unmount a disk image if antivirus or other software kept files on the disk image open.
- Resolved an issue in which the “Backup everything” cloning method failed in some cases when CCC was unable to determine the number of files on the volume (this looked like a failure to write the excludes file)
- Resolved an issue in which the target volume’s label would sometimes appear incorrectly at the boot picker on startup
- Resolved an issue in which CCC was unable to perform authenticated tasks on some Tiger machines (if the /Library/LaunchDaemons directory does not exist).
- Fixed an issue in which aborting a running scheduled task would abruptly end any other running scheduled tasks.
- Fixed an issue in which biweekly-run tasks would run weekly.
- Addressed a situation in which the CCC.log might not be readable by non-admin users.
- Scheduled tasks that end successfully, but with non critical errors, now present a dialog reporting the errors.
- Fixed an issue in which the CCC synchronization engine would report “mknod” errors.
- Addressed a minor performance issue with displaying the list of items to be copied for the startup volume.
Carbon Copy Cloner 3.3.1 retails for a US$10 shareware registration fee. The application requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later to run.