Posted by: Chris Barylick
Date: Monday, July 25th, 2011, 03:39
Category: News, Software
Late Tuesday, the Perian team released version 1.2.3 of Perian, the open-source QuickTime components effort that allows QuickTime to support and play a variety of additional formats beyond what it would normally be able to handle.
The new version makes the following fixes and changes:
- AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats.
- MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio.
- AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3.
- Subtitle support for SSA and SRT.
- Some Fraps videos only displayed black.
- Workaround checks for Front Row stopped being effective.
- Fixed compatibility with web video playback.
- Worked around System Preferences crashing during an update on 10.6.
- Further fixes to Matroska import.
Perian 1.2.3 is a 3.4 megabyte download and requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later to install and run.